It can be hard to keep track of all the features that Matomo (Piwik) has to offer. To find out if Matomo is the right web analytics tool for you, check out this ever-expanding list of features.
Web Analytics Features
All standard statistics reports: top keywords and search engines, websites, social media websites, top page URLs, page titles, user countries, providers, operating system, browser marketshare, screen resolution, desktop VS mobile, engagement (time on site, pages per visit, repeated visits), top campaigns, custom variables, top entry/exit pages, downloaded files, and many more, classified into four main analytics report categories – Visitors, Actions, Referrers, Goals/Ecommerce (30+ reports). See Tour of Matomo (Piwik).
- Real time data updates
Watch real time flow of visits to your website. Get a detailed view of your visitors, pages they have visited and goals they have triggered.
- Customizable Dashboard
Create new dashboards with widget configuration fit to your needs.
- All Websites Dashboard
Best way to get an overview of what is happening on all your websites at once.
- Row Evolution
Current & past metric data for any row in any report.
- Analytics for Ecommerce
Understand and improve your online business thanks to advanced Ecommerce analytics features.
- Goal conversion tracking
Track Goals and identify whether you are meeting your current business objectives.
- Event Tracking
Measure any interaction by users on your websites and apps.
- Content Tracking
Measure impressions and clicks and CTR for image banners, text banners and any element on your pages.
- Site Search Analytics
Track searches done on your internal search engine.
- Custom Dimensions
Assign any custom data to your visitors or actions (like pages, events, …) and then visualize the reports of how many visits, conversions, pageviews, etc. there were for each Custom Dimension.
- Custom Variables
Locate your visitors for accurate detection of Country, Region, City, Organization. View the visitors statistics on a World Map by Country, Region, City. View your latest visitors in real time.
- Pages Transitions
View what visitors did before, and after viewing specific page.
- Page Overlay
Display statistics directly on top of your website with our smart overlay.
- Site speed & pages speed reports
Keeps track of how fast your website delivers content to your visitors.
- Track different user interactions
Automatic tracking of file downloads, clicks on external website links, optional tracking of 404 pages
- Analytics campaign tracking
Automatically detects Google Analytics campaign parameters in your URLs.
- Track traffic from search engines
More than 800 different search engines tracked!
- Accurately measure the time spent by visitors on your website (provides a more accurate bounce rate metric).
- Scheduled email reports (PDF and HTML reports)
Embed reports in your app or website (40+ Widgets available) or embed PNG Graphs in any custom page, email, or app.
Create text notes in your graphs, to remember about particular events.
- With Custom Alerts you can monitor your business and receive alerts on your phone or by email when any of your Key Performance Indicator increases or decreases.
- Visitor Log
- Visitor Profile helps you understand each visitors’ individual behavior by summarizing and listing all their visits.
- No data limit
You can keep all your data, without any storage limits, forever!
See our limits analytics data fact sheet.
- Heatmap Analytics: Heatmaps, Scroll maps and Clicks of your users displayed in beautiful overlay heatmap reports.
- Session Recording: record all activities on a page of a real visitor such as clicks, mouse movements, scrolls, window resizes, page changes, and form interactions. You can then replay these interactions in a video to see exactly how a visitor interacted with your website.
- A/B Testing Platform: experiment and optimise your websites, apps and marketing campaigns by running A/B tests running increase your conversions.
- Custom Reports: pull out the information you need in order to be successful and gain new insights. Save heaps of time, money, and reduce the risk of human error by creating new reports in just seconds.
- Form Analytics: make your forms better at converting your users! See where and when do visitors leave your forms.
- Media Analytics: powerful insights into how your audience watches your videos and listens to your audio (website).
- Visualise your Conversion Funnels and understand where your visitors drop off to increase your conversions, sales and revenue with your existing traffic.
- User Flow is a awesome visual representation of the most popular paths your users took through your website or app. Get more insights by analyzing those paths and where along in the path they exited your site.
- Detailed Search Engine Keywords Performance: all keywords searched by your users on search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo are now visible into your Referrers reports! The ultimate solution to ‘Keyword not defined’ and ‘keyword not provided’.
- Multi Channel Conversion Attribution: get a clear understanding of how much credit each of your marketing channel (referrer) is actually responsible for to shift your marketing efforts wisely.
- Roll-Up Reporting lets you aggregate data from multiple websites, mobile apps and shops into one (or more) Roll-Up site to gain new insights and save time.
- Login SAML plugin lets your users log in Matomo (Piwik) using SAML. Compatible with any SSO Identity Provider such as OneLogin, Okta, Ping Identity, ADFS, Google, Salesforce, SharePoint.
- Detailed Audit log of user activities happening in your analytics platform for better security and problem diagnostic.
- White Label plugin lets you resell Matomo (Piwik) to your customers and giving them access to their analytics reports where all Matomo-branded widgets are removed.
- Manage unlimited users
- Set user access to multiple websites
- Manage unlimited websites
- Exclude IPs and IP ranges
- Exclude URL parameters
- Timezone support, for each website
- Supports 100+ currencies
- Powerful options to White Label Matomo (Piwik) are available, ideal for large agencies or when you need a clean, branded Matomo interface
- Upload your custom logo for UI and email reports
- Automatically delete old logs and old data reports to keep you database size small
- Integrate with several SSO solutions such as LDAP or SAML to let your users login Matomo (Piwik) using your existing users directory.
- Integrates with more than 90 CMS, web frameworks or Ecommerce shops
- Official Matomo Mobile app for Android and iOs smartphones
- Free community support forums
- Professional consultation services
- 50+ languages available
- Let your customers and clients sign up to your Matomo (Piwik)
- 100% FREE Software (Open Source, GPL license), yet compatible with commercial uses
- Mobile App Analytics with the Matomo (Piwik) iOS SDK, the Android SDK and the Titanium Module.
- Asynchronous code for faster page loads
- Track & record any data using the REST Tracking API, via the PHP Tracking API Client or the Java Tracking API client, C# DotNet Tracker
- Track custom page URLs and page titles
- Track subdomains
- User ID lets you accurately measure your unique users across multiple devices.
- Cross domain linking for accurate visitor tracking across several domain names.
- Supports both 1st party cookies (default) and 3rd party cookie (optional)
- Import your Apache, Nginx, IIS server logs for processing in Matomo (Piwik)!
- Track server speed generation time for each Page view
- Track Single-page websites and web applications
- Supports pages encoded in unicode (for example, UTF-8) but also supports all other charsets
Data Export & APIs
- Data Export in Excel, XML, Json and more!
- Fully-featured analytics API
- Administration API (REST) to create/update/delete pragmatically: users API, websites API, goals API, etc.
- Segmentation support in the API
Log Analytics: Import and Analyze your Server Logs
- Reprocess historical data from your server logfiles
- Report server errors and other http status codes
- Track and identify search engine and other bots
- Powerful Custom Data Platform and Data Management Platform
- Keep your data private on your server
- Compatible with Windows, MacOs, Linux, Solaris, IIS, Apache, Nginx, and more
- Long Term Supported: Matomo (Piwik) is the analytics platform for your mission critical projects
- 5 Minute installation
- Other one click Installation options: Softaculous, Installatron, Microsoft Web Platform Installer, and our official Matomo (Piwik) Debian package.
- Easy One Click Update
- Strong focus on software security & excellent track record
- Strong focus on software Quality Assurance & testing
- Compatible with high traffic websites
- Supports servers behind proxies, works in a load balanced architecture, and supports IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
- Works for Intranet websites
- SharePoint Analytics: integrate Matomo (Piwik) with your SharePoint service to learn more about the productivity of your employees and overall user engagement.
- Search Bots Crawl Overview reports
- Privacy compliant web analytics including powerful GDPR tools for exercising data subjects rights.
- Setting to anonymise your visitors’ IPs
- Iframe included to let your visitor opt-out of Matomo (Piwik) tracking
- DoNotTrack support by default
- Asking for consent
- Use 1st party cookies by default, with an option to enable third party cookies
- Replace User ID with a pseudonym
- Open Marketplace with more than 60 plugins Enhance your Matomo (Piwik) analytics with valuable additional features.
- Themes for Matomo (Piwik) Feel like a change of colors? Try our community submitted themes, or create your own!
- Plugins for CMS: WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, and more than 100 other softwares! With one of our Matomo (Piwik) Integration plugins.
- Libraries for programming languages: Python, Ruby, and more!
Matomo (Piwik) is an Award winning platform used by more than 1 million websites worldwide. We regularly release new versions.
Help & Support
With Matomo (Piwik) you are never alone or lost. We offer several powerful resources:
- User guides: discover all features of Matomo (Piwik) and learn how to use them.
- Glossary: all commonly used terms in Matomo Analytics (formerly Piwik Analytics).
- FAQs: most frequently asked questions and answers.
- Developer Zone: Code, Design & Innovate with the Matomo Analytics (formerly Piwik Analytics) platform.
- Book a training workshop for you and your colleagues and help your organisation implement and use Matomo (Piwik) effectively.
- Matomo (Piwik) community forums: free support by the community.
- Business and Enterprise plans: paid support for medium to large businesses and corporate users of Matomo Analytics (formerly Piwik Analytics) who need to leverage the full power of the Matomo (Piwik) platform. (SLAs, Phone support, Account manager, by the creators of Matomo)
Our Roadmap is public and driven by the large community of users.