No need to irritate visitors with consent screens
Did you know you can lose customers, get less accurate data, and damage your reputation all because of consent screens (also known as consent banners)?
This is because a large % of people will not opt-in to tracking and cookie consent screens – which means you could be making bad business decisions based on inaccurate data. Your reputation is also at stake because you must use a consent screen to announce you’re using a tool like Google Analytics, which uses visitor data for their “own purposes”. Not a good look for your brand.
A previous GA user alerted us to a significant loss in business due to consent screens.They mentioned they lost about 5-10% of their visitors after having to show a consent screen with GA. For similar businesses who aren’t well known brands, this could similarly affect you.
This is where Matomo Analytics can give you an advantage.
You can use Matomo without needing any cookie or tracking consent
However, Matomo’s privacy protection is so good that once configured, you can use it without needing to ask for any consent. Simply follow a few steps to protect privacy and you’ll be able to use Matomo without the clutter of a consent screen.
If you prefer to keep showing a consent screen, Matomo gives you the advantage to keep tracking even if cookie consent was rejected. This way you benefit from more detailed data of people that give consent but don’t miss out on the data from people who rejected the cookie usage.
So why don’t you need tracking consent with Matomo?
- Visitors aren’t tracked across websites (compared to GA which does track visitors across many websites)
- Visitor can’t be tracked across different days within the same website
- User profiles cannot be generated when cookies are disabled
- The data is not used for any other purpose than analytics (compared to GA which uses it for other purposes and therefore always requires consent)
- This only applies if you don’t track any personal data and have enabled cookie-less tracking