Get valuable insights with Log Analytics and stay compliant with your industry’s strict data privacy and security policies.
Log Analytics is the most secure way to get the insights you need to make smarter data-driven decisions, without compromising the integrity of your organisation, while fully protecting the sensitive information of your users.
This gives you and your users a higher level of security with the ability to generate reports by importing web server logs.
How it works with web server log files:
Each log file includes historical information about the user and the actions they take, such as the page a visitor has viewed or when a visitor downloads a file. You can import your server log files directly into your Matomo Analytics account to analyse the insights on your dashboard for easy viewing.
Industries that rely on Log Analytics:
If you’re working in an industry that holds sensitive data on your website and aren’t using Log Analytics for your web analytics tracking, then you may be jeopardising your users’ confidential information.
NOTE: This doesn’t include e-commerce sites that use a payment gateway for transactions as that is protected by the payment provider.
- Government agencies: Serving the public means protecting the public’s identity that’s provided when they sign in to personal portals for government payments, documents etc.
- Financial institutions: When customers use online banking services or communication portals that hold delicate information, it’s even more important to be vigilant. Don’t risk data falling into the wrong hands.
- Healthcare: Patient confidentiality could be compromised if you aren’t fully protecting their records through an online service.
- Education institutions: How students and faculty members communicate through online portals, like Moodle, or how they access their grades and online resources should be protect by a highly secure tracking method.
Features of Matomo Log Analytics
- 100% data ownership
- Protect user privacy with IP anonymisation
- Build custom plugins or reuse the extensive APIs
Recognises most popular server log formats (Apache, Nginx, IIS, etc.)
Transforms gigabytes of server access logs into insightful analytics
- A delete-old-logs feature to keep database size under control
- Easily migrate from AWStats and Urchin by importing your historical logs into Matomo
- Supports the DoNotTrack (DNT) function
- Sarbanes-Oxley and PCI compliant
- Automatically exclude bots (search engines, spam bots, etc.) from reports. There is an option to track bots and assign them a custom variable to differentiate them from human visitors
Get analytics from historic visitors
This way you get a head start in learning about who your visitors and customers are to grow your business faster.
NOTE: While there are many benefits to using Log Analytics, some features are unavailable using this tracking method, including:
- Screen resolution and page titles
- Content tracking
- Heatmaps and Session recordings
- Form analytics
Example of a web server log file
To use Log Analytics, you need the latest version of Matomo, Python and your server’s access logs to import directly into your Matomo account. Full documentation can be found in the user guide: How to run the Log Analytics tool.
Feedback: your feature requests
Feel free to create a new ticket in our issue tracker to request a new feature. You can find the list of all opened Log Analytics tickets here. If you are a Python developer, check out the source code and consider submitting a pull request. Any suggestions for improvements are warmly received and appreciated.