We are very excited to bring you Piwik 1.12 today! We have packed a lot in this version, in both new major features, improvements, and bug fixes.
What’s new in Piwik 1.12?
- Beta Release Channel – use beta release channel to live on the edge
- Segment Editor – create, save, edit, apply custom segment of visitors. A very powerful feature indeed!
- Page Speed Reports – learn how fast your website loads (and each individual page)
- Device Detection Reports – detect brand, model, device type, using this new beta plugin for advanced Devices Detection
- New SEO Metrics by MajesticSEO.com: external backlinks, referrer domains
- Various API Changes and Improvements (click to view)
- Various improvements to Segmentation
- New segment ‘siteSearchKeyword’ (to match visitors who made a particular Site Search request)
- “Is Null” and “Is Not Null” type queries are now supported, by leaving value empty. Click here for documentation.
- The operators Not Equal != and Does Not Contain !@ now also match the rows with NULL values, to ensure more accurate datasets
- many small improvements and features, see the full list of 80+ tickets below
After You Update
- Please use the forums for free support.
- After the update, if you get a white page or the CSS is not working (Piwik appears black and white), see this FAQ.
- Contact Piwik Professional Services for any enquiry, custom development, or to learn more about managed Piwik hosting
- Please help us spread the word about Piwik on your blog, website, twitter, at conferences, and to your friends and colleagues.
Already 480,000 websites have liberated their web analytics but this is just the beginning. Thank you for your support!
- Help improve Piwik in your language by contributing to translations.
- How do I specify the URL that users should be redirected to, when they logout of Piwik?
- How do I create new visit on demand, so that several users using the same computer or browser are counted separately?
- How do I track the URL Hash tags so that the #hash appears in the Page URLs report, and in Visitor Log?
- How do I access a real time counter of visitors currently on my site?
- I would like to test early beta and RC releases, how do I enable automatic updates to use these development versions?
- How do I fix the error “Mysql Server has gone away”?
- How do I search within reports?
- How do I improve Unique Visitor detection accuracy?
New & Updated docs
- Tracking Campaigns
- License for Piwik Mobile and license for piwik.js
- Site speed and Page speed
- Log Analytics
- Log Analytics FAQ
- Log Analytics: a Business Use Case
- How to use Log Analytics tool
- Best practise for Piwik CMS Plugins
- How to configure Piwik for speed
- Piwik Credits page – We had a lot of people, companies, organizations to thank for their awesome work!
- Help Piwik grow!
- How do I White Label Piwik, to change the Logo, the Colors, add custom widgets, etc.
- Track Visitors using a Custom Unique ID, instead of using IP Address
- List of all How To Videos
- Donate to Piwik 2.0 development fund
- Other recent new features:
- Real time World Map. Check out the new widget ?Real time map? or go to Visitors>Real Time Map to see your latest visitors on the map, and hover on them to see a tooltip with all visitor info.
- Visitors World Map. View the visitors statistics by Country, Region, City on this new beautiful world map which zooms into continents and countries!
- And also: Page Overlay, Annotations, Geo location
- Recent blog posts:
List of 82 tickets closed in Piwik 1.12:
- #1700 Propose Page speed reports, Load time analytics
- #2135 Segmentation: implement UI for adding/editing segments, and switching segments
- #3612 Better Device detection (mobile, TVs, consoles, etc.): New “DevicesDetection” plugin!
- #3828 Enable the “Beta release channel” to use the latest Piwik Beta version in one click!
- #3734 Integrate new MajesticSEO metrics in SEO report
- #3097 Make Visitor Log load very fast even with hundreds of thousands of visitors, or if a visitor views thousands of pages
- #3813 Update JQuery & JQueryUI to latest
- #3771 Automatically reformat all source code in Piwik to follow updated coding standard
- #3131 New dashboard widget to show real-time visitor count
- #3895 Update Piwik PHP source code to PSR coding standard
- #3903 BREAKING API change: some ‘segment’ names have been renamed. Click for list.
- #3905 BREAKING API change: Live.getLastVisitsDetails parameter and output has slightly changed.
- #3940 BREAKING API change: Format of data returned in API.getBulkRequest has changed
- #3933 Segmentation improvement: NOT EQUAL != and DOES NOT CONTAIN !@ should also match the rows with NULL values
- #3932 Segmentation improvement: Support “IS NULL” and “IS NOT NULL” type queries by leaving value empty
- #3961 New segment ‘deviceType’ to let you segment visitors by: desktop, smartphone, tablet, feature phone, console, tv, car browser
- #3904 New segment ‘siteSearchKeyword’ to match visitors who made a particular Site Search request
- #3786 API MultiSites.getAll: Add option to not remove sites that have no visits
- #3636 API Add new parameter &pattern= to MultiSites.getAll to allow searching for websites
- #3637 How to configure destination URL, after user logout of Piwik
- #3832 LOG ANALYTICS –force-lowercase-path option to log importer script that makes all paths lowercase before importing hits (for IIS logs)
- #3877 We invite you to upgrade to php 5.3 to enjoy upcoming Piwik 2.0
- #3906 New API: getSuggestedValuesForSegment to return top suggested values for a particular segment
- #3913 New Dashboard API to return list of all configured dashboard for a given user
- #3951 New Tracking API feature: &new_visit=1 lets you create new visits on demand
- #3953 Piwik Campaign Tracking should detect campaign/keyword parameters in the #hashtag (as well as in the query string)
- #3927 When visitors are recorded in a random chronological order, Piwik should assign the actions correctly
- #3697 Improve and/or update ISP names
- #3352 Add “Asynchronous Module Definition” (AMD) support (piwik.js)
- #3744 Generate automated API PHP Client Reference at: https://matomo.org/docs/tracking-api/#toc-tracking-api-php-client-reference
- #3799 Make ImageGraph BackgroundColor / TextColor customizable
- #3819 JS Tracking client: add appendToTrackingUrl function to let user specify: visitor id,IP,datetime, lat/long, geolocation,etc.
- #3928 add bitcoin to ecommerce currency list
- #2987 Bug: including “Last visits graph” and “Overview with graph” widgets at the same time causes one graph not to load
- #3465 Evolution Graph displays “no data” if last date has no data
- #3482 Setting ‘archiving_ranking_query_row_limit’ to 0 (no limit) should disable RankingQuery
- #3663 Data export returns empty CSV in MultiRowEvolution
- #3805 1.11 – import_logs.py broken parser
- #3822 Import_Logs.py – MySQL error when trying to import logs out of date sequence
- #3868 Problem with showColumns for API.get method
- #3957 window_look_back_for_visitor break js visit length
- #3781 getUserPreference bug: “defaultReport” preference is “false” by default
- #3361 Row Evolutions not returning data for Actions.get[Entry|Exit]PageTitles
- #3570 Row Evolution and Transitions do not work when a report is an iframe Widget
- #3742 Display of browser versions fails when filtering by date range
- #3806 Variable CoreHome_YouAreUsingTheLatestVersion_js not loaded in settings menu
- #3814 Piwik UI is tracked as current idSite instead of 1
- #3817 visit_total_time limit reached in mysql causing warning
- #3820 improve the proxy-hide-piwik-url how-to
- #3821 Scheduled Reports broken, because a report is set to never send (period=never)
- #3823 Regression on IE8: Dashboard bug on IE8: “widgets can’t be created without a uniqueId”
- #3824 Remove Notice in tracker when a plugin is not found
- #3826 Socials Widget doesn’t use correct label for Google+
- #3827 Socials Widget fails to display icons when report is flattened
- #3833 Archiving custom range is not triggered correctly.
- #3834 Error with import_logs.py when importing IIS logs
- #3852 Piwik_Config::setConfigOption is outdated but still used in core/Updates/
- #3862 Import of this logfile fails
- #3864 Country Ukraine isn’t counted on visitor map
- #3869 latest upgrade file permissions incorrect causing server 500
- #3875 Vertical bar graphs in email reports and mobile : too many labels skipped
- #3882 regression: Days / Visits to Conversion Reports show wrong table
- #3884 Report Visits Summary, Weekly report shows last Day’s summary
- #3887 Evolution ImageGraph is not working for Referers.getAll
- #3892 Browser Plugins API returns an error in combination with filter_truncate
- #3894 html MiniBug after piwik update
- #3896 SMS Reports – site name not visible in SMS object
- #3897 regression Row Evolution – filter_limit
- #3907 Automatically remove the adwords &gclid parameter from URLs
- #3920 Wrong link in Download page
- #3924 Log Analytics: tracking of http errors codes should be saved as custom variables “page” scope [pr]
- #3935 User Country Map – Incorrect calculated height of world map in iframe
- #3954 regression New and edited annotations are URL encoded
- #3467 Scheduled Reports: rename title to “All Websites” when including only “All Websites”
- #3574 Row Evolution for Evolution of Social Referers
- #3766 tooltip with no plugins enabled
- #3811 Unit tests: Fix Column not found: 1054 Unknown column ‘%’ in ‘where clause'”
- #3926 French Translation in autoEmail report > Mensuellement/Quotidiennement/Annuellement
- #3956 API (3D) pie charts with wrong legend / label.
- #1267 New Search engine: sogou.com
“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.” – Albert Einstein