There are a few ways to tell Matomo (Piwik) to exclude and ignore your traffic:
- Set the ‘ignore cookie’: Login in Matomo (Piwik), click “Administration” in the top menu, then in the ‘Personal > Settings’ page click the link below the section ‘Exclude your visits using a cookie’. (a
piwik_ignorecookie without expiry date is created on the domain of your Matomo server).
- You may also ignore all traffic from a given IP address or IP address range or CIDR range (useful if you use one or more static IP addresses): check this faq.
- You may also exclude all traffic where the requests have particular User Agents.
- You may also include a Tracking Opt-out feature in your website, and use it to exclude your traffic. (a
piwik_ignorecookie without expiry date is created on the domain of your Matomo (Piwik) server).
- You may also force Matomo (Piwik) to only track visits and Page URLs where the URL belongs to your website domain (useful to ignore traffic on your test/staging/qa instances)
Note: when you exclude some traffic, it will only exclude it going forward and is not applied retroactively.