A staging instance can be used to test modifications before they are applied to your actual Matomo instance. For example, you could use a staging instance to test new Matomo updates
The steps to setup a Staging instance are:
- Perform a backup of your production MySQL database
- Set up a new instance to act as your staging environment. You can use the same guides
for installing your staging instance as you did for your production instance.
- Restore your MySQL backup onto your staging instance.
- Compare both production and staging
config/config.ini.phpfiles and make sure that both config files are almost the same.
- The only differences should be:
- the database connection details dbname, username, password
- the random generated salt