We are proud to announce Matomo 4.8.0: a new release of Matomo Analytics.
This is another maintenance release improving the reliability and stability of Matomo as well as progressing the migration to VueJS and support for PHP8.1. As part of our continued commitment to privacy we have added a feature to completely avoid fingerprinting by disabling browser feature detection in Matomo tracker. You can read more about this in our FAQ.
In light of recent decisions in Austria and France and in line with our ongoing commitment to privacy we continue to prioritise features that help websites to keep data collection ethical and compliant, so you can rely on Matomo now and into the future.
Please note that as of Matomo 4.8.0 we are now signing the release package with a new GPG signature. You can still verify previous release packages with the existing GPG key, but please check the instructions for using verifying this and future releases on our blog.
We are grateful for all community members who reported feedback and suggestions, our awesome team of translators for their work, and our Premium features customers and Matomo Cloud hosting customers for their amazing support.
60 tickets have been closed by more than 13 contributors!
After You Update
- Please help us spread the word! Maybe you can write about the project on your blog, website, twitter, talk at conferences or let your friends and colleagues know what is Matomo. Already 1,000,000+ websites are keeping full control of their web analytics with Matomo!
- Use the forums if you have any question or feedback (free support),
or purchase a Support Plan to get professional support and guidance.
- To improve Matomo in your language consider contributing to translations.
- You can also support our efforts by purchasing valuable Premium Features for Matomo or try our Matomo Cloud solution.
This release does not contain any significant security fixes.
Our security bug bounty program welcomes & rewards researchers who discover and responsibly report to us any security issues found in Matomo or any of the plugins created by Matomo/InnoCraft.
This release does not contain any major database upgrade.
Matomo is an open analytics platform. In an effort to help Matomo developers learn about improvements and changes in the core APIs, we document the changes since the last release.
In this 4.8.0 release there is a new config INI setting to disable the default location provider and a new PHP event to filter segment definitions. Read more in Platform Changelog for Developers to see more details on all changes to the platform and APIs.
Note: the Marketplace showcases more than 90 plugins already compatible with Matomo and this is just the beginning. Matomo is your universal data analytics platform!
New and updated SDKs (Tracking API Clients)
The Matomo team offers official SDKs (Tracking API Clients) for measuring your mobile apps and any other kind of apps.
- iOS SDK [by @brototyp]
- Android SDK [by @d4rken]
New and updated guides and FAQs
- How do I import data from WP Statistics plugin into Matomo for WordPress?
- How do I embed the Matomo tracking code in my website CMS?
- How do I fix the GoDaddy 403 Error when using Matomo for WordPress?
- How do I track pages across Multilingual sites or sites in Multiple Languages in Matomo?
- How can I purchase a Matomo Cloud plan?
Need help upgrading Matomo?
Read the Updating Matomo user guide or for more help we offer paid support plans.
List of 60 tickets closed in Matomo 4.8.0
- #18448 Add an option to disable fingerprinting / config_id entirely [by @peterhashair]
- #17686 Make Matomo compatible with PHP8.1 [by @justinvelluppillai, @geekdenz, @sgiehl]
- #18699 Label shortened when opening multiple subtables [by @peterhashair]
- #18819 Fix issues with anonymous user language change not persisting due to incorrect setting of cookies with session lifetime [by @sgiehl]
- #18138 Cache whether a DB supports transaction level or not for slight performance improvement [by @peterhashair]
- #18783 Comparing two segments in goals, sets the graph to all zeros for the first segment
- #18718 Update JQuery UI to 1.13.0 [by @sgiehl]
- #18758 Fixes incorrect headline when adding a goal [by @AltamashShaikh, @sgiehl]
- #18479 Minor marketplace tweaks to mention premium features free trial [by @peterhashair]
- #18538 Fix page overlay sidebar authentication failure [by @sgiehl]
- #18702 Ensure Google SEO metrics are returned with correct type [by @sgiehl]
- #18711 Fix handling of invalid limit values for Live.getVisitorProfile [by @sgiehl]
- #18720 Fix invalid parameter handling for PHP 8 in API.getBulkRequest [by @sgiehl]
- #18785 Check folder & permission before downloading a GeoIP database [by @sgiehl]
- #18788 Validate minTimestamp parameter for Live.getLastVisitsDetails [by @sgiehl]
- #18798 Ensure Dashboard API methods can’t be performed by or for anonymous user [by @sgiehl, @peterhashair]
- #18709 Update orange brand color less variable in morpheus theme [by @sgiehl]
- #18829 Fix possible dashboard warning [by @sgiehl]
- #18564 Migrate sitesmanager controller and twig templates to Vue components [by @diosmosis, @sgiehl]
- #18566 Migrate capabilities edit component to Vue [by @diosmosis, @sgiehl]
- #18572 Migrate user-permissions-edit component to vue [by @diosmosis, @sgiehl]
- #18576 Migrate user edit form directive to Vue component [by @diosmosis]
- #18582 Migrate paged users list component to vue [by @diosmosis]
- #18583 Migrate usersmanager root component to Vue [by @diosmosis]
- #18834 add dummy sitesManagerAPI service back in since it is referenced (but not used) by a premium feature [by @diosmosis]
- #18775 Segmented visits log might show incorrect title [by @sgiehl]
- #18797 Improve performance of some archiving queries [by @tsteur]
- #18804 Add mechanism to initialize vue components outside of angularjs [by @diosmosis, @peterhashair]
- #6986 Improves many detections, adds detection for various apps and adds detection for various bots [by @liviuconcioiu, @sgiehl]
- #6987 Detect new brands Horizont and Detect devices for several existing brands [by @sanchezzzhak, @sgiehl]
- #6990 Fixed minor syntax errors in some of the regular expressions
- #6993 Detect new brands iSafe Mobile, Redfox, Tigers, Vinabox, Beista, YOTOPT and Detect devices for several existing brands [by @sanchezzzhak]
- #6994 Detect new brand TOSCIDO and Detect devices for several existing brands [by @sanchezzzhak, @sgiehl]
- #6995 Detect new brands: OMIX, Technopc and Detect devices for several existing brands [by @sanchezzzhak, @sgiehl]
- #6998 Detect new brands: b2m, Koslam, Orion, Massgo, S2Tel and Detect devices for several existing brands [by @sanchezzzhak, @sgiehl]
- #6999 Detect new brand Jedi and improve detection of Remix OS [by @sanchezzzhak, @sgiehl]
- #7001 Adds detection for various apps [by @liviuconcioiu, @sanchezzzhak]
- #7003 Librem phone is counted as an iOS device
- #7004 Adds detection for Purism brand and fix iOS detection [by @liviuconcioiu, @sanchezzzhak]
- #7005 Adds detection for Plasma Mobile operating system [by @liviuconcioiu, @sanchezzzhak]
- #7006 Detect Fuchsia OS [by @sanchezzzhak, @sgiehl]
- #7007 Detect new brands: iPEGTOP, Nexa, Hi Nova and Detect devices for several existing brands [by @sanchezzzhak, @sgiehl]
- #7010 Adds detection for Noontec brand, improves detection for Google, PocketBook, Samsung, Sony devices, Android, FreeBSD, Android Browser, Tizen Browser [by @liviuconcioiu, @sanchezzzhak]
- #7011 Adds detection for Android TV, Foresight Linux, Kanotix, LindowsOS, Linspire, moonOS, Pardus, Zenwalk operating systems [by @liviuconcioiu, @sanchezzzhak]
- #7012 Detect new brands China Telecom, Royole, U-Magic, DORLAND and Detect devices for several existing brands [by @sanchezzzhak, @sgiehl]
- #7014 Improves detection for Samsung devices [by @liviuconcioiu, @sanchezzzhak]
- #7015 Improves detection for iOS and Apple iPhone [by @liviuconcioiu, @sanchezzzhak]
- #7017 Improves detection for Samsung devices [by @liviuconcioiu, @sgiehl]
- #340 Add option to filter events in Preview mode [by @AltamashShaikh]
- #421 Trim whitespace from matomoUrl,idSite,cookieDomain and cookiePath fields [by @AltamashShaikh]
- #337 If xdebug is enabled then change limit to prevent self-referencing variable loop [by @AltamashShaikh]
- #426 Added changes for tawktotag to work with new widgetID changes [by @AltamashShaikh]
- #440 TagManager (variable) values are not reset for tracking, even if they are set to “” or null. [by @AltamashShaikh]
- #408 Migrate field templates to field vue components [by @diosmosis]
- #418 Migrate variable management to Vue JS [by @diosmosis]
- #419 Migrate trigger management to Vue JS [by @diosmosis]
- #422 Migrate tag management to Vue JS [by @diosmosis]
- #438 Applies some wording improvements suggested for translations [by @sgiehl]
- #441 Added code to update dimension even when value is empty or null [by @AltamashShaikh, @tsteur]
- #1310 Add essaytags.com [by @ericguirbal, @spmedia]
- #1311 Add lsitenonrepeat.com [by @skylarmt, @spmedia]
We are together creating the best open analytics platform in the world. You can help make Matomo even more awesome by getting involved in Matomo!