By default, we recommend installing Matomo on your WordPress site using a plugin (see these steps). However, if you cannot or choose not to use plugins, follow these steps to manually enter the Matomo tracking code into your WordPress site:
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard.
- Go to the Appearance menu and click on Editor.
- From the list of files on the right-hand side, click on the
- Locate the closing head tag
</head>in the code.
- Copy the Matomo tracking code provided in your Matomo account (learn more).
- Go back to your WordPress editor and paste the tracking code just above the
</head>tag in the
- Click “Update File” to save the changes.
That’s it! Your WordPress site is now set up to track visitor data with Matomo.