You can configure Matomo to use your SMTP server as the mailserver (instead of using the default mailserver that PHP is configured to use).
To configure a SMTP server for Matomo, login as Super User, go to Administration > General Settings. Under ‘Email server settings’ you may configure the SMTP server form as follows:
- Use SMTP server for e-mail. For Gmail SMTP use YES
- SMTP server address. For Gmail SMTP use smtp.gmail.com
- SMTP Port. For Gmail SMTP use 465
- Authentication method for SMTP. For Gmail SMTP use Login
- SMTP username. For Gmail SMTP use your gmail username
- SMTP password. For Gmail SMTP use your gmail password
- SMTP encryption. For Gmail SMTP use SSL
If you have enabled 2 step verification (2FA/MFA) with Gmail, you will need to set up a password in Gmail specifically for use in Matomo. It’s done in the “App passwords” section of your Gmail account. Then enter this generated “App password” in Matomo > Settings > Email server settings > SMTP password.
All Matomo emails (Scheduled PDF Reports, Password reset confirmation, etc.) will now be sent using Gmail servers.