To configure Matomo to send emails via a SMTP server, follow these 2 steps:
Step 1 (required)
To configure a SMTP server for Matomo, login as the Super User, go to Administration > System > General Settings. Under ‘Email server settings’ you may configure the SMTP server form as follows
- Use SMTP server for e-mail. For Gmail SMTP use YES
- SMTP server address. For Gmail SMTP use smtp.gmail.com
- SMTP Port. For Gmail SMTP use 465
- Authentication method for SMTP. For Gmail SMTP use Login
- SMTP username. For Gmail SMTP use your gmail username
- SMTP password. For Gmail SMTP use App specific password
- SMTP encryption. For Gmail SMTP use SSL
Step 2 (required for Gmail as SMTP)
Follow these steps to configure SMTP via a Gmail.com account:
- Log into Gmail
- Go to your Google Account page (click on account icon, select “Manage your Google Account”)
- Click on Security tab
- Enable two-step verification (if not already enabled)
- Go to App Passwords page
- Select Mail and device (e.g.
Matomo Server Emails) and generate.
- Enter this generated “App password” in Matomo > Settings > Email server settings
All Matomo emails (Scheduled PDF Reports, Password reset confirmation, etc.) will now be sent using Gmail servers.