We are proud to announce Piwik 2.16.3: a new release of Piwik!
In this release we have focused on fixing issues reported over the last two months as part of our Long Term Support release cycle. We now detect more social networks, search engines, and a dozen of new Referrer Spammers. Our Device Detector library has been constantly updated and will now detect dozens of new devices, models and brands. Piwik is confirmed to be fully compatible with PHP 7.
87 tickets have been closed by more than 24 contributors!
After You Update
- Use the forums if you have any question or feedback (free support),
- Please help us spread the word about Piwik! Maybe you can write about the project on your blog, website, twitter, talk about Piwik Analytics at conferences, or let your friends and colleagues know what is Piwik. Already 1,000,000+ websites have liberated their web analytics, and with your help we can grow the community!
- To improve Piwik in your language consider contributing to translations.
- We can help you make the most of Piwik with our various services. Contact the professional Piwik team via Contact Support and we will get back to you.
- The Piwik team is actively looking for a new maintainer for the official Piwik iOS SDK. Let us know in this issue if you are interested to maintain our iOS SDK.
This release is rated critical.
The Piwik security engineering team has internally identified a critical security issue and has fixed it in Piwik 2.16.3. We recommend all users to upgrade to this latest version.
Note: This release contains major database upgrades and upgrading your database will take a long time if you have a lot of data in your database.
Please make sure you read the Update Piwik guide for high traffic instances.
Piwik is an open analytics platform. In an effort to help Piwik developers learn about improvements and changes in the core APIs, we document the changes since the last release.
trackRequest which allows to send custom requests and parameters to the Piwik Tracking API.
Read more in Platform Changelog for Developers to see all changes to the platform and APIs.
Note: the Marketplace showcases more than 63 plugins extending Piwik but we think this is just the beginning. Piwik is your universal data analytics platform!
New and updated guides and FAQs
- New integrations: Pageflow Analytics.
- User guide: Help resources
- User guide: User ID
- User guide: Piwik Requirements
- FAQ: How do I view Piwik application logs?
- FAQ: How do I import log files when my Piwik server is protected by HTTP authentication?
- FAQ: A search engine is counted as a website referer. How can I add the search engine to Piwik?
- FAQ: How can I sponsor a bug to be fixed, or pay for a new feature to be created?
- FAQ: What is the relationship between Piwik PRO business and the Piwik project?
- Blog: Piwik 3 Development Update 1 – New UI design, API changes & release date
- Blog: Piwik 3 Development Update 2 – Git master branch will become Piwik 3
- Blog: Piwik 3 Development Update 3 – Marketplace for Piwik Analytics
- Blog: Piwik 3 Development Update 4 – Important notes and breaking changes
- Services: Custom Development & Analytics requirements, Piwik Analytics for Enterprise
If you are missing some functionality in Piwik or need a bug fixed, or if you need a new custom feature developed especially for you, you can sponsor the development of it. Fill in this form to get started.
Features and bug fixes that were sponsored in this new release are marked below with “Sponsored by”. Thank you to these organisations for sponsoring improvements in Piwik!
List of 87 tickets closed in Piwik 2.16.3
- #10631 Mark 2.16.3 DB upgrade as Major as it updates a field on the log_visit table: visit_entry_idaction_url [by @mattab]
- #10414 Create index.htm files in all tmp/ sub-folder as an additional safety net [by @mattab, @tsteur]
- #4570 Add support for “issues” link to plugin.json and display in Marketplace / Core
- #8392 Moved UI screenshots inside the repository using git-lfs [by @mnapoli, @sgiehl]
- #10423 When updating the config file failed (or when any other file is not writable…), the Updater (for core or plugins) will now automatically throw an error and cancel the update [by @mattab]
- #10527 Automatically update all marketplace plugins when updating Piwik [by @tsteur, @mattab]
- #10633 Warn users (in all admin pages) when the PHP version is not recent enough to upgrade Piwik to latest major version [by @mattab]
- #10406 PHP 7: when there is a fatal error in API request processing, display the original error in the api response [by @mattab, @tsteur]
- #10424 When the core:update command is executed with a user:group different from the user:group that owns the Piwik files, display a message to indicate how to fix file permissions [by @mattab, @tsteur]
- #10598 Show a better selection of data, in the default dashboard layout [by @mattab]
- #10630 Display warning in console command when the DB upgrade is major [by @mattab]
- #10425 issue tracker: remove the LTS milestone on Github
- #5395 As a Piwik plugin user, I want to leave a feedback to the plugin developer
- #6386 Remove tests from plugin when packaging on the Marketplace
- #7726 Move UI screenshots to git-lfs [by @mnapoli, @sgiehl]
- #10441 Split piwik.js into multiple files and provide a merged one [by @tsteur, @mattab]
- #7658 Daily Scheduled Reports sent one hour late, if daylight saving time is active [by @sgiehl] – Sponsored by Piwik PRO]
- #9893 When opening the visitor profile, the Segment is applied, which can cause the Visitor Profile to be incomplete [by @tsteur] – Sponsored by Piwik PRO]
- #10143 .htaccess file ownership in 2.16.1 [by @mattab, @tsteur]
- #10357 Correct wording: Donation widget only displayed to superusers [by @johnrackles, @mattab, @tsteur]
- #10374 Plugins: Generating a new visualisation via ‘generate:visualizationplugin’ fails with InvalidArgumentException [by @tsteur]
- #10399 Fatal error when requesting RSS format: Call to a member function getTimezone() on boolean [by @mattab, @tsteur]
- #10427 DoNotTrack: Tk response header value wrong
- #10463 Deprecated – Non-static method Piwik\Db\Adapter::isRecommendedAdapter() should not be called statically, [by @tsteur]
- #10501 Fix possible twig error in updater if support is defined but no email [by @tsteur]
- #10368 Cannot Generate Tests using Piwik Console [by @tsteur]
- #10370 Update documentation how to install Piwik from git on Windows for developers
- #10389 Update Docs: Tracking Events with Custom Dimension
- #9105 Implement ordering by “last updated”, “new” at http://plugins.matomo.org/
- #10362 Update to Device detector 3.7.1 [by @mattab, @tsteur]
- #10366 Added new event Archiving.makeNewArchiverObject to allow customising plugin archiving [by @mgazdzik, @mattab]
- #10440 Add tests for piwik/searchengine-and-social-list#14 for Japanese search engines and keywords [by @piwikjapan, @sgiehl]
- #10481 Define changelog, faq and documentation in separate files in plugins [by @tsteur]
- #10522 Exposing some DOM methods for Piwik.js [by @tsteur, @mattab]
- #10564 Additional information passed in the hook “isExcludedVisit” (issue #10415) [by @Thomas–F, @mattab]
- #10634 If Piwik is not installed yet, it’s possible the tmp/ folder is not writable, display a useful error message [by @mattab]
- #10384 [automatic translation update] Updated 103 strings in 36 languages (fa, fr, sv, tr, ar, cs, da, de, el, es, fi, it, ja, ko, nb, nl, pl, pt-br, ro, ru, sk, sr, tl, uk, zh-cn, be, bg, ca, id, lt, lv, pt, sl, sq, vi, zh-tw) [by @sgiehl]
- #10442 [automatic translation update] Updated 118 strings in 4 languages (cs, it, nb, de) [by @sgiehl]
- #10585 [automatic translation update] Updated 201 strings in 8 languages (cs, de, el, es, fr, nb, tr, it) [by @sgiehl]
- #10058 Release 2.16.2 [by @mattab, @sgiehl, @tsteur]
- #5355 Possibly broken encoding & rule in tablet.yml [by @sgiehl]
- #5518 Add some bots found in logs [by @HostedDinner, @sgiehl]
- #5521 Detection of dbbrowser and Streamy browsers [by @Wazelin, @sgiehl]
- #5522 It is possible to get device model name? [by @sgiehl]
- #5523 Maemo hasn’t group and link to `$1` looks like mistake [by @catap, @sgiehl]
- #5525 Add BriskBard browser [by @Aeyoun]
- #5528 Added BriskBard [by @Aeyoun, @sgiehl]
- #5529 Added: all `yandex` bots [by @evilebottnawi, @sgiehl]
- #5532 Isivioo and B-Line browsers detection [by @Wazelin, @sgiehl]
- #5533 Bugfix/android streamy detection [by @Wazelin, @sgiehl]
- #5534 Add engine version to Client [by @Wazelin]
- #5535 Implemented Engine version parser. [by @Wazelin, @sgiehl]
- #5536 Fix warnings with regexps that present in Ruby [by @mkdynamic, @sgiehl]
- #5537 Optimized Catchpoint lookup [by @sckoop, @sgiehl]
- #5538 ViewSonic V500 is recognized as “smart display” instead of smartphone [by @sgiehl]
- #5539 Various Lenovo and LG tablets are recognized as smartphones [by @sgiehl]
- #5540 Various devices are wrongly recognized as tablets [by @sgiehl]
- #5541 There are cases where device brand is recognized, but model is not [by @sgiehl]
- #5542 There are cases where device models are not recognized in mobile UAs [by @sgiehl]
- #5551 Detect Galaxy Note 7 [by @DaimonPl, @sgiehl]
- #5552 Detection improvements [by @DaimonPl, @sgiehl]
- #5554 updates “MultiPhone 8500 Duo” client fixture [by @mneudert, @sgiehl]
- #13 Add new google plus app referrer to socials. [by @tiv-source, @sgiehl]
- #14 Japanese localization. [by @piwikjapan, @sgiehl]
- #15 Updated IxQuick and StartPage [by @Aeyoun, @sgiehl]
- #16 Updated Kvasir [by @Aeyoun, @sgiehl]
- #17 Added com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox to Google [by @Aeyoun, @sgiehl]
- #18 Updated Ecosia [by @Aeyoun, @sgiehl]
- #19 Added V2EX [by @Aeyoun, @sgiehl]
- #20 Added com.google.android.apps.plus to Google+ [by @Aeyoun, @sgiehl]
- #21 added added new yandex hosts [by @olegdem, @sgiehl]
- #516 Add lumb.co [by @futureweb, @spmedia]
- #517 Add savetubevideo.info [by @futureweb, @spmedia]
- #520 Add law-check-two.xyz [by @brodjustice, @spmedia]
- #522 Add 1-99seo.com [by @royallthefourth, @spmedia]
- #523 Add 1-free-share-buttons.com [by @GeauxHome, @spmedia]
- #524 Add compliance-john.top [by @GeauxHome, @spmedia]
- #526 Add spin2016.cf [by @GeauxHome, @spmedia]
- #528 Add chcu.net [by @ericguirbal, @spmedia]
- #529 www.igadgetsworld.com
- #530 add igadgetsworld.com to list [by @mattb77, @spmedia]
- #129 adding option to provide separate url for API [by @wronan, @mattab]
- #147 Add new static and download extensions [by @Framartin, @mattab]
- #149 Problem with permission on config.ini.php [by @mattab]
- #49 Handle being able to build for both LTS and latest Major [by @mattab]
- #12 Fix a possible endless loop, and a possible seg fault [by @tsteur]
We are together creating the best open analytics platform in the world. You can help make Piwik even more awesome by getting involved in Piwik!