What are the differences between Matomo On-Premise and Matomo for WordPress?
- There are no users and no website management in Matomo for WordPress. Instead users and websites are managed in WordPress. This way you only need to manage your users and sites in one place. You can still give multiple users access to your reports, you simply don’t manage them in Matomo but instead in WordPress.
- Matomo HTTP API is not available, we recommend you use the WordPress REST API instead
- Widgets cannot be exported, we provide shortcodes to embed reports into your website instead
- Tag Manager is not available in WP Multisite. However, you may be able to enable Matomo Tag Manager under circumstances
- Matomo CLI tools (console) may not work in WP Multisite
- The entire login/logout and authentication is all done through WordPress. Therefore our login plugins like LoginSaml, Login HTTP Auth, etc. won’t work.
- Individual Matomo core plugins cannot be disabled
- The Matomo mobile app for Android and iOS won’t work with Matomo for WordPress
- No custom logo can be uploaded in Matomo for WordPress
- Matomo for WordPress focuses on simplicity by doing a lot of the work you usually have to do in On-Premise, for you. For example it automatically configures Geolocation and you don’t need to set up any cronjob to generate reports.
- Log Analytics cannot be used with Matomo for WordPress.
Thanks for contacting us! We will get in touch with you shortly.
Feedback on this page
Next FAQ: Why are there two different Matomo for WordPress plugins? What is the difference to WP Matomo Integration plugin?