We are very excited to announce the immediate availability of Matomo (Piwik) v1.10.1
Just like version 1.9, released two months ago, Matomo version 1.10 is a major new release with another set of amazing new features, including:
- The ability to see web analytics data overlaid on the website you’re tracking and not just in the Matomo dashboard (via the new Overlay plugin).
- The ability to take and save notes for different days, so you will better understand why your data looks the way it does (via the new Annotations plugin).
- The ability to automatically update your GeoIP databases with the new GeoIP Auto-Updater.
In addition to these big new features, there are four smaller new features, three usability improvements and 31 bug fixes.
New Feature ? Page Overlay
This powerful new feature was built by Timo, the same developer who created the equally powerful Transitions plugin in version 1.9. Page Overlay Analytics reports display your analytics data right on top of the website you are tracking.
Using this plugin, you’ll be able to:
- view your website’s overall analytics data right next to your website.
- view transition and evolution data while browsing your website.
- see where your visitors click on each of your webpages.
New Feature ? Annotations
This feature lets you attach text notes to different dates in the past, and displays them every time you view analytics data over time. Using this seemingly simple feature, you’ll be able to:
- mark changes to your website (like new blogposts or design changes), or mark special events (like holidays or product launches),
- star important notes so you’ll notice them the next time you’re looking at your data,
- use these notes to create analyses of your data and save them as new annotations, then…
- act on the new insights you gain when you view your annotations in the future.
New Feature ? GeoIP Auto-Updater
We promised this feature in v1.9.1, but unfortunately it proved to be more difficult to implement than we thought. Regardless, we managed to finish it in time for v1.10 and even added a bonus for those of you who haven’t started using GeoIP yet.
If you’re currently using GeoIP to geolocate your visits, you can setup automatic updates for your GeoIP databases by going to Settings > Geolocation and filling out the form at the bottom of the page.
If you haven’t started using GeoIP yet, we’ve created an easy way for you to get started:
Clicking the ‘Get started…’ button on the left in the Geolocation admin screen will automatically download the free (but less accurate) GeoLite City database.
Other New Features
New Report: Social Networks
We’ve added a new report that will show you how many referrals you get from different social networks. See exactly which social networks send you the most visits, and which don’t. Then use this data to decide which social networks to invest the most time in.
Exclude Visitors By User-Agent
Sometimes it’s desirable to exclude visitors from being tracked, but there are no IP addresses you can exclude. The usual answer to such a problem is to exclude visitors based on what’s in the visitors’
User-Agent string. We’ve added the ability to do this in Matomo v1.10.
SEO Widget Improvements
We’ve also improved the SEO widget by adding a couple new statistics and fixing issues with some existing statistics.
New Tracker Parameters
And, if you use the Tracking API yourself, you’ll find there are now six new tracking parameters:
- cs ? The character set of the page that was viewed.
- country ? The visitor’s country.
- region ? The visitor’s region.
- city ? The visitor’s city.
- lat ? The visitor’s latitude.
- long ? The visitor’s longitude.
For more information on these parameters, see the documentation here.
See the visits of a returning visitor
Now, when you’re viewing visits in the visitor log and you see a returning visitor, you can click on the returning visitor icon to see all of their visits.
See visitor latitude/longitude in the visitor log
It is also now possible to see the latitude and longitude of each visitor in the visitor log.
What we’re working on
We’re getting closer and closer to version 2.0, and we’re not going to stop! We’re working on implementing more of the features in the Roadmap in order to reach this important milestone. If you’d like to help us get there sooner then check out our new crowdfunding venture and help fund the features you’d like us to build or help support all of Matomo and donate.
And as always, we’re going to squash as many bugs as we can.
Participate in Matomo!
Are you a talented developer or an amazing User Interface designer, or do you like writing documentation or are a marketing guru?
If you have some free time, if you are a do-er and not a talker ;-) and if you want to contribute to one of the most awesome open source projects around, please get in touch with the Matomo team, or read this page to learn more.
For the full list of changes in Matomo 1.10 check out the Changelog.
Stay tuned, we?ll have many new changes to show you in our next release. And please consider supporting or even participating in the project ? and if you like what you read, please tell your friends and colleagues, write on your website, blog?
Happy Analytics using Matomo 1.10!