How your Matomo is configured to anonymise tracking data will determine how easy it will be to delete previously tracked data using a visitor IP.
Determine the IP address you need to search
If you are not anonymising the Visitor IP
Then you can use the GDPR tools to remove the tracking data using the full IP address for example
192.168.100.10, with the steps listed below.
If you are anonymising the Visitor IP in Matomo
First, determine how many bytes of the IP address are being anonymised in the Matomo privacy configuration.
Then replace the corresponding numbers in the IP address you want to delete tracking data for with 0.
For example if you need to delete tracking data for the IP address of
192.168.100.10, then you would replace 2 bytes of the IP address as follows:
Deleting the tracked data
You can do this by following these steps:
1. Go to Admin > Privacy > GDPR Tools
2. Select the website that you want to remove the data for using the Site Selector.
3. Under “Find data subjects by” select Visitor IP Equals 192.x.x.x (Replace this with the IP you would like to lookup)
4. You will then be presented with a list of all visits that match the search criteria. By default all of the visits that match the search criteria will be selected, if there are any visits you wish to keep you can deselect them
5. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Delete Selected Visits”
Just keep in mind that the more bytes anonymised by Matomo, the higher the likelihood of deleting tracking data for legitimate visits.
Once the tracking data has been deleted, you will need to invalidate the reports and reprocess the data to get accurate reports for any time periods that these visits occurred in. These reports will become available again once the archiving process has completed.
If you want to delete old tracking data for specific date ranges for any of your sites in Matomo using this FAQ: How do I delete old visitors statistics for a given website and/or date?
If you want to delete old reports, read this FAQ: How do I delete all statistics for a given website, or for all websites?