To configure the free MaxMind geolocation database in Matomo you will need to first get a license key from MaxMind. To do this, follow these steps:
- Sign up for a MaxMind account
- Once you’re signed up, after a few hours you will receive a confirmation email with login details
- Log in to your account
- Click on “My license key”
- Click on “Generate a new license key”
- Enter a license key description, for example “Matomo”, and choose “No” for “Will this key be used for GeoIP Update?”
- Click on “Confirm”
- The license key will now be shown.
- This license key will be only visible once so it’s best to copy it and save it somewhere secure, or use it in your Matomo right away. If you ever delete this license key, you will need to change the license key in Matomo.