This page is for developers who would like to create or improve an existing Matomo Integration Plugin for a CMS
You will find a basic specification for what your Plugin / Addon / Module, could do in order to integrate Matomo in a useful way for the user.
Design of a CMS plugin that integrates Matomo
If you are planning to contribute a new plugin for an existing CMS, please consider the following recommendations. Most Matomo Plugins listed above have three parts:
Feature 1) Automatically Insert Tracking Code
Feature 2) Admin Settings
- User can set the Matomo URL, token_auth, site id, choose default date & period to load the dashboard.
Feature 3) Display Matomo Reports in your admin panel
In the admin section of your CMS or software you are integrating with, we recommend to add a new menu to show the Web Analytics reports for the website.
Many plugins above will have a new entry in a menu, that loads the Matomo Dashboard in an iframe (click here to view an example of the dashboard you can embed). You can also embed individual widgets: in Matomo, click on the “Widgets” link in the top menu to view all examples (many useful ones to choose from).
Publishing your plugin to share with the community
- Please consider releasing under the GPL license, a simple step to ensure the freedom of your users.
- Consider publishing the source code on GitHub, so others can easily contribute.
- Write a short presentation page in a README, with the description of your Plugin/Module/Extension, some screenshots, instructions to download & install the plugin, and contact information if a bug is found.
- Once your plugin is published online, please contact us to get it listed here we will need the following information: Plugin author name, Software name (eg. WordPress), Software website URL (eg. wordpress.org), Software logo image (eg. WordPress logo), Plugin name (eg. WP-Matomo WordPress Plugin), Short plugin description, and URL to the plugin (eg. Github, etc.).
- If there is an official plugin repository for the platform you are writing (such as WordPress Plugin Repository for WordPress), please submit your Matomo plugin to this repository/marketplace to ensure it gets visibility.
Thank you for considering writing a new quality integration between Matomo and the other web product you use!